Inspiration, Encouragement & Strength
join a community of support ›

Resource Articles

The divorce resources listed below provide helpful information about a range of important topics, all provided by experts and other knowledgeable individuals. Topics include all things legal and financial, health and body, and more lighthearted content like makeup how-tos, music recommendations, and recipes.

Back to Article List

Filter Articles By:  

Question: I left my husband a few months back, but I'm running out of money. He's not paying child support for the kids, and I don't know what to do. Who can help me get the money he owes me?

Answer: You can help you get the money! Determine the right courthouse in your community to seek a child support order. Ask the clerk how to file "pro se" (meaning you self-represent) for child support or hire an attorney if you choose.

You will need to serve papers on your husband and then there will be a court hearing at which both of you submit financial information. The judge will determine the amount of child support he owes you based on national guidelines that are very specific.

You can ask the judge to garnish his wages so that the child support payments go straight to you from his employer.

Related content:

How To Ask Your Ex For More Money

Getting More Child Support For Your Children

Getting the Child Support You Need (video interview)


Back to Article List

Leave a comment