I’m an insomniac, which normally wouldn’t bother me since I actually like the peace and quiet at 2 A.M. when I can read or e-mail friends (most of whom are also awake). But as a beauty editor, I know enough about cell renewal to realize the adverse effect lack of sleep is having on my skin and looks.
When even the Starbucks guy says “you look tired today,” I know I’m in trouble. A good eight hours can really help since the body does all repair work when you’re asleep.
If you’ve been wondering why you can’t use the same skin cream day and night, well, you can — as long as your skin is relatively healthy, young, and smooth, and you add an additional sunscreen during the day.
Night creams are not a marketing ploy.
For most of us with sun damage and textural issues, night is an opportunity to use more intense wrinkle treatments that work on renewal, not protection, and skip the SPF. You won’t be wearing makeup either, so you can opt for something richer and more emollient.
Retinols, the vitamin A derivative that combats photo-aging, can make skin sun-sensitive and, like prescription Retin-A, is better used at night. Other ingredients that work efficiently while you sleep are peptides, soy protein, botanicals and essential oils, vitamin E, and vitamin C, which boosts collagen production.
I’m hearing lots of push back now about de-agers that mean a splurge of $100 or more, and actual screaming when I mentioned La Prairie Cellular Cream Platinum Rare at $1,000 a jar!
Here are five of my favorite P.M. boosters — and in this case, if you snooze you won’t lose:
1. Boots Time Dimensions Restoring Night Moisturizer ($17.99) with vitamin C and A and ginseng
2. Yes To Carrots C Through The Night Moisturizing Cream ($14.99) with a megadose of antioxidant C
3. Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins Night Health Bedtime Face Cream ($48.50) botanicals and essential oils
4. L’ Oreal Dermo-Expertise Age Perfect Anti-Sagging & Ultra Hydrating Cream for Mature Skin ($16.99) peptides galore, marine botanicals, botanicals, and vitamin E
5. RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream ($21.17) Retinol-rich