Nervous about that first post-divorce date? Don't worry. I have a few tips that will help you put your mind at ease so you can relax! Here are three Do's and three Don'ts of post-divorce dating:
• DO remember that your first date after divorce is not about looking for a new husband! Have fun. If you haven't been in the dating scene for a while, a new date is a great chance to practice your dating muscle again.
• DO stay upbeat and positive rather than talking about your baggage. Everyone has baggage at a certain age — learn to unload it gradually, over time as you and your date get closer. Remember, some mystery is good at the beginning of dating!
• DO remember that being divorced is nothing to be ashamed of. Without dwelling on details of your past, be honest about your divorce status if you are asked about your relationship history rather than have your date find out after the fact.
• DON'T spend the entire first date comparing the person to your ex spouse. If you do this, you won't be present or show up as your best self on the date.
• If you have children, DON'T introduce your date to them before or after a first date. Meet your date at a public place and let your connection grow before you involve your kids.
• DON'T go on a date to get back at your ex. This is YOUR time. When you feel ready to start dating again, you are making a statement to yourself that you are ready to embrace a new and exciting chapter of your life.
Go out and have some fun!
Lisa has a lot of great information and articles about breaking up and moving on.
Click the following to return to the directory for Sex and Dating Post Divorce