Inspiration, Encouragement & Strength
join a community of support ›

Community Talk

Community Talk makes it easy for you to find relevant, informative articles from First Wives World's leading contributors, all in one place. All content is hand picked by First Wives World and covers a wide range of topics important to you.

Back to Article List

Filter Articles By:  

I was reading a column in the Miami Herald where a divorcee complained about the red tape involved in getting her maiden name back. In this case, she hadn't requested the change during the divorce hearing when the Judge would have included it in the final divorce decree. Requesting it later in the process becomes more cumbersome and the procedure will vary from state to state.

Normally a change of name form can be filed in the probate or family court in the county where the divorce took place. There are some court fees and proof of identity will be necessary. In the letter to the Herald, the writer paid $35 for a name change form and was asked to produce a set of fingerprints which can be secured from any police department in Miami-Dade County for $5.

Women may start the name change maze as follows:

1. After securing a certified copy of the final divorce decree from the court or your attorney, go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and apply for a new driver's license. 
2. With your maiden name on this photo ID, go to the Social Security Office nearest you. Bring your original divorce decree papers, complete the name change form SS-5 and apply for a new Social Security card. There is no charge for this form which is available at the Social Security Web site. Proof of your identity will be necessary. 
3. Notify your bank which also may want to see the divorce decree as well as another form of ID.
4. If employed, notify your employer and file a new W-4 form.
5. Notify the post office of the name change.
6. Notify credit card companies, utilities, insurance companies, voter registration, as well as state and local tax offices.
7. Tell your family and friends to start using your maiden name.

It's not so simple for women to return to their maiden name. Due to identity theft and privacy issues, proof of identity is required. I don't recommend sending in your original divorce decree to the Social Security or other government offices because it could get lost. It's really best to request a name change at the time of the divorce for a more simplified process.


Related Content:

The D-Word: Reclaiming Your Maiden Name, a video of four women discussing the process of getting their maiden name back. 

Back to Article List

Leave a comment


  • Comment Link Jynnah Tuesday, 16 April 2013 20:06 posted by Jynnah

    I think the process should be easy, it is in my divorce decree I am able return to my maiden name if I choose, and I do. All of my present identification has both my maiden and married names, so it shouldn't be too complicated.

    Thanks for the information.

  • Comment Link Guest Sunday, 26 February 2012 08:57 posted by Guest

    This is a very long and: This is a very long and complicated process, that's why articles like this one is very helpful for those who are looking for on matter like this.

  • Comment Link Guest Friday, 25 February 2011 14:02 posted by Guest

    Post-divorce name change: I do find the process a bit confusing, but am pursuing it anyway. I have my fingerprints, and just need to access the form online for the change of name back to my maiden name. It's probably not so much difficult as simply requiring a couple minor hoops. Truly, for the sake of restoring my dignity and privacy, it's a small price to pay. I can't get far enough away from my married name at this point, my ex is that unpleasant. I'm glad there is a remedy.